TALYBONT-ON-USK COMMUNITY COUNCIL
MEETING HELD ON 15th May 2023
at Henderson Hall and via Zoom commencing at 7.15pm
Cllrs Parry (Chair), Moorman, James, Chapman and J. Jones
1. Apologies for absence -
2. Welcome New Clerk and Councillors -
We welcomed our new clerk, Clare Preece and newly coopted councillors John Jones and Harry Chapman
3. Declarations of Interest -
Cllr. Chapman has a workshop on the property at Gilestone Farm.
4. Approve minutes of the 17 of April 2023 -
The Minutes of the 23rd of March 2023 were accepted as a true record.
5. Matters Arising-
Our new clerk was interviewed and hired.
The cooption of councillors was organised and completed in line with Powys Electoral Service Standards.
The ASM was held with a first annual report. A new chair and vice were elected. New committee members were appointed. New policies were approved and implemented for training, gifts, declarations of interest and communication.
An FOI procedure was added to the website.
An official Code of Conduct complaints policy was added to the website.
The Nepali Village was invited for a presentation to the council.
• The clerk’s email address has been updated
• Peter Seaman contacted the council about camping and littering at the reservoir. It was agreed to pursue the matter further in the next meeting with BBNPA and to contact Dwr Cwmru.
• An email from Andrew Large was shared with the council concerning the difficult situation the TCC because of the WG, the importance of persisting with the business plan, proper process within the council, external relationships with the community and pressure groups and intolerance of abuse.
• An FOI request from Craig Burdon was completed.
• An email from Craig Burdon concerning Canol Pentre was followed up with a visit to all the bungalows and contact with Powys Housing. It was suggested to pursue with another email and If no response, to contact the housing ombudsman.
• An email concerning the pump track which has been delayed for years and rudimentary plans for variations of the design were shared with the council along with ecological/arborial reports and increased costs. The council found the diagrams substandard and requested a resubmission. The dates of funding to be investigated.
• An email from Ceri Bevan and Heather Vaughan was considered for installation of a new Rugby posts. Two more bids are required for approval.
7. Councillor Vacancies Announced-
Casual Vacancies for Craig Burdon, Jonathan Short and Glyn Thomas were submitted to electoral services. Costs for an election were requested.
8. Gilestone Farm - Cllr. Chapman left the room
Collated questions were submited by the Council last week.
Releasing the notes prior to the minutes caused a negative response from the WG and the notes were removed. After discovering that some members of the community were unfairly in possession of the information and were objecting to it being shared with others, we recanted and reposted the notes. The official minutes followed in days. The council will continue to disclose information as it becomes available. A follow up email on answers to the questions resubmitted last week will be sent today. Information on the next steps and strategic communication plan to follow soon. The council feels we should have full representation at future meetings. There is a general feeling of being ignored. We will persist.
9. Logo Contest
It was agreed to have a contest for 2 new logo designs by children and adults, winners to be announced at the Village Fair in August
10. Henry Vaughan Garden and Trail
It was agreed to assess the state (and number) of all of the signs and poetry boards on the Henry Vaughan Trail. Painting and oiling of the wood probably required. Cllr. Moorman to look at historical records and payments and compare with Nina K. to confirm the council’s position.
11. Nepali Invitation
A notice warning residents of parking at the cattle market and shuttle bus services for the event on the 21st to be shared on social media. There will be a presentation at 6:45 at the June council meeting of the Nepali Village plan for those who could not attend and members of the council.
12. Biodiversity Plan
There has been a great public response of interest in the biodiversity plan, including local scientists. The group will meet the first week of June. Cllrs. Moorman
And J. Jones
13. Online Presence-
The council has added a ‘social media’ page to the website for those who do not follow facebook so they can be kept up-to-date with what the council is sharing and doing.
14. Defibrillator census-
Cllr. James reported the Youth Hostel at the reservoir will have their own defib installed.
The council will organise a training session for use of the defibs in Pencelli and Talyont and invite members of the public.
15. Canal Matters-
The canal leak was addressed rapidly but the council is fearful of further issues because of the delay in relining. We will continue to pursue our next meeting.
Pursuit of payment of the outstanding insurance claim has been acknowledged. Requested past paperwork will be resubmitted this week.
Cllr. Parry has graciously agreed to be in charge of the dog waste bin on the canal path..
The next meeting with the BBNPA is scheduled for 10:30, June 5thThe main topic of the meeting will be coordinating a place plan. We will also discuss the tramroad and issues back in the reservoir and followup on what our status is as consultants in the park.
SWOTS to be completed by all councillors
17. Highway Matters -
Powys did a very quick job fixing the bridge. The council and community were impressed. A diagram of proposed double yellow lines for Talybont planned followed by public consultation.
18. County Councilor Report-
Cllr. Cartwright will be taking a leave of absence. Powys to inform the council of assistance for the future. The council wishes to send a message of condolence.
19. Applications for Planning Consent –
23/21962/LBC -Buckland Hall – no issues
The replacement of existing single glazed windows
23/21955/MINOR Royal Oak Pencelli - already approved
Cllr. Jones inquired if the consultations were ever disputed or followed up on. It was agreed to investigate.
20. Community Council Assets -
a. Play equipment- Reports – need new paving slabs at entrance
b. Tennis Courts refurb - marking is done
Current Financial position -
Current Account: £27,767.39
Reserved Account £8699.12
Date of next Ordinary Meeting 19th June 2023
Held at Henderson Hall commencing
at 6:45pm as a hybrid meeting